Wilderness Therapy for Teens
Wilderness Therapy for teens treats individuals ages 13-17 and is an experienced-based approach utilizing nature, small group living, and therapeutic rituals to facilitate change. In regards to wilderness living, Aldo Leopold said,
"The wilderness gave them their first taste of those rewards and penalties for wise and foolish acts which every woodsman faces daily, but against which civilization has built a thousand buffers."
The wilderness provides an environment of experience while Evoke provides your child with skills for self-expression, reflection, and process to interpret their experiences and apply them to his or her life.
Mounting clinical outcome research and testimonies of thousands of participants and their parents have solidified the effectiveness of Wilderness Therapy for struggling teens. This field continues to grow at an unprecedented rate, but making the decision to send your child to a Wilderness Therapy program is a difficult one. To this end, we encourage families to counsel with an Independent Educational Consultant.
Not all wilderness programs are equal. Evoke’s Wilderness Therapy Programs take great measures to create an exceptional, clinically effective program while maintaining a high level of respect, support, safety, and risk management. We have set our sights beyond simply meeting the industry standard to provide a unique and unparalleled treatment experience.
Industry standards for Wilderness Therapy programs include the following:
- Your child's therapist is licensed by the States they operate in.
- Your child receives weekly individual therapy by a licensed mental health professional
- Your child experiences extended backcountry travel and wilderness living with trained field instructors
- The program is based on a supportive, respectful and non-punitive model
- Your child has an active participatory role and responsibility in their therapeutic process
- The program provides continuous group-living in the wilderness with regular formal group therapy sessions
- The program uses nature in reality as well as a metaphor within the therapeutic process
- The program has a strong ethic of care and support throughout the therapeutic experience
Benefits of Evoke Wilderness Therapy
Evoke Wilderness Therapy Programs at Entrada goes above these standards to provide:
- Your child with an experienced clinically sophisticated Wilderness Therapist who is required to be at a Master or Ph.D. level
- A formal evaluation of assessment and discharge plan from your child’s therapist
- A psychiatric assessment at intake and/or throughout their stay when appropriate
- Your child with a whole-health focus as their therapeutic experience, with a personalized treatment plan with tailored goals, objectives, and assignments that promote accountability, insight, and growth in the areas of mind, body, and spirit.
- Field Instructors who have comprehensive training in wilderness living, group facilitation and counseling skills
- The family program provides inclusive support with extensive resources and services including weekly phone calls with the therapist, twice-weekly webinars, Family Support Groups throughout the United States, Family Workshops, as well as other additional parent and family services and other program resources.
Our experienced clinical team is successful at working with a variety of issues, from mental health diagnoses, developmental issues, and learning disabilities. For a list of issues our Wilderness Therapy program works well with visit Is Wilderness Therapy Right for Me? Please contact one of our Admissions Counselors to find out how Evoke’s Wilderness program can help your child.
Your child's treatment plan will include the following:
- Assessment, objectives and goal setting created between you and your Therapist
- Personalized assignments addressing your whole-health; your emotional, physical, psychological, and spiritual self.
- One-on-one support from your treatment team, which includes your Therapist, Field Instructors, Medical Coordinator, Health & Wellness Coordinator, your peer group, and Psychiatrist and Psychologist who are available for additional support.
- A discharge plan to take with you after leaving Evoke so you can maintain and continue your accomplishments and continue to apply them to living a happy, healthy life.
Evoke’s Wilderness Therapy Programs for teens provide a unique customized and accredited curriculum through AdvanceEd. Additional information about Academics can be found here.
Location & Gear
Evoke Wilderness Therapy Programs take place at Evoke Entrada. Your experience at either location will be guided by your personalized treatment plan. Evoke Therapy Programs will provide all essential gear, clothing, personal items, and equipment for the Wilderness Therapy Program. Participants are responsible to provide their own eyeglasses (no contacts), prescription medication, and dental retainer. Learn more about Safety and Gear. Additional information can be found on FAQs and Wilderness Admissions.
For more information, please contact one of our Admissions Counselors at 866.411.6600.